Design Studies 1 Group Assignment - Song Interpretation

31/8/2017 (Week 1 to Week 4)
Gan Pei Jane
Design Studies 1 - Communication Theory
Group Assignment

On the Second Week in Design Studies 1, we were given our first assignment, which is to create an visual art piece based on the song choice that were given to us. The song that was given to us is "The Sound of Silence" from Simon and Garfunkel. We have to research on the song and interpret the song's meaning and then make some sketches on the sketchbooks on our ideas based on the song's meaning. The purpose of this assignment is to communicate to the audience and make the audience perceive the song meaning through our art piece.

For this group assignment, we are divided into groups of 3 or 4.
My group members are:
1. Tiffany Kezia
2. Arailym Tulekova
3. Wynne Pankusya

Module Assignment Brief 
Continuous Assessment - Assignment (Group) (20%)
Assignment Brief
Communicate with a target audience, in a visual form, the emotions of the message in a song or poem.
Requirements
In this group work, you are to decipher the meaning or emotions of a given song or poem. Utilizing the elements of design and the principles or organisation, create a work of design that communicates the message or emotions of the given song or poem. The work of design can be in any form, deem fit by you, in the context of the song or poem. However, do consult the lecturer the size of the design work before finalizing the idea. Each member of the group must contribute to produce a collective sketchbook that records everyone's research, ideas, opinions and sketches.
The final outcome is to be accompanied by a rationale of about 250 words, stating what you understand from the song or poem (your deciphering) and explaining about the idea behind your final design. You are to present your work on the submission day.
Duration
4 weeks (Briefing: Week 1; Deadline: Week 4).
Submission Format 
Digital submission (in one PDF file) through TIMeS:
Assignment cover sheet, image(s) of the final design work, idea sketches, rationale and reference list.
Assignment Goals
1. Students to demonstrate research skills. 
2. Students to employ effective visual communication skills. 
3. Students to solve problems with relevant design solutions. 

The song "The Sound of Silence" is produced by Simon and Garfunkel and is originally released in 1964 in an album "Wednesday Morning 3 a.m.". The song was written by Paul Simon. It was awarded the 45th Grammy Hall of Fame award. 

Lyrics: 
Hello darkness, my old friend

I've come to talk with you again

Because a vision softly creeping

Left its seeds while I was sleeping

And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
‘Neath the halo of a streetlamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dare
Disturb the sound of silence

“Fools” said I, “You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you”
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said “The words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence”



Work Process
For my part of the assignment, I am doing the last part of the entire story. First of all, I do some research on the song's meaning and put them into the sketchbook, then I elaborated on the meanings and on which part of the song that I can find the meaning from. The themes that I can find from the song is loneliness and the absence of true communication amongst people. 


I then try to sketch some scenes based on the meaning of the song. Most of the scenes I draw revolves around the action of the main character, such as the body expressions and the environment that surrounds them. I did not draw the face of the character because I would like the character to give out a mysterious feeling as I find that the song itself has a mysterious feeling to it. 


Final Artwork





Reflection
In this assignment, I learned that we not only can communicate emotions through songs and poems, but we can also communicate emotions through art work. The final art piece that was done was inspired by the emotional aspect of the meaning of the song, as it can be seen by flipping through the work, from a man wearing a "mask" that sits alone wondering about life and its meanings and slowly transitions to when he is seen taking off his "mask", which is the paper bag, to reveal him embracing the darkness. This assignment has taught me how to do research on the songs and poems to further build ideas for the final art piece. 



Comments