Usability and Mobile Application I (Final)


10th September 2018 to 19th October 2018
Gan Pei Jane (0327622)
Usability & Mobile Applications I
Final Project 

Week 3

10th September 2018

Mr. Shamsul asked us to come up with some ideas on the application that we wanted to create. I decided to make an app on "how to do things". Before I begin my app design, I researched the type of app that I wanted to make. I had an idea to make a fitness app at first, and my second choice would be an app for makeup.

For the fitness app, I researched on existing fitness apps like BodyBoss, 30 days fitness challenge and 8fit workout. 



For the makeup app, I researched existing makeup apps like Perfect 365, YouCam and Meitu.




Week 4

19th September 2018

On the fourth week of class, Mr. Shamsul gave us feedback on the app idea that we've chosen. He told me not to choose a fitness app as many people have chosen that idea, and instead, he asked me to settle for the second idea, which is a makeup app. Mr. Shamsul asked us to research 2-3 apps and write a SWOT analysis to compare those apps. We were also asked to finalize our idea for our app, and for my finalized idea, I decided on a makeup app, Luna Beauty. 


Week 5

26th September 2018


For the 5th week, Mr. Shamsul asked us to work on our process flow chart. We are required to make a process flow chart to further understand what we want from the app that we're going to create. For my app, I created a process flow chart on a piece of paper and then changed certain aspects to further improve the UI of my app. 
Afterward, we were told that we will have our presentation on the 10th week of the semester so we should have all our research data compiled and presented that day. 

Week 6

3rd October 2018

This week, we have already started designing our survey questions. For my questions, I have designed 24 questions. My target audience for the survey are females aged 16 to 36 that wanted to learn how to do makeup as well as learn beauty tips and put filters on their images. The survey questions can be found on the link below. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1q4MyYU5CLgikiomY2H5y9Iqhusgmo5LXPbKWlrYVSmw/edit

4th October 2018

For Mr. Razif's class, we are required to make user personas with personas that match the target audience that I would expect to use my app. There will be 3 user personas, the first one is my primary user, the second one is my secondary user and the third will be another expected user. 

The user personas that I've created are as below. 

The first one is my primary user, which is already somewhat skilled with makeup but would still like to use this app to further improve their own skills or use the other beauty features of my app. 


The secondary user is someone who isn't skilled in make up at all and would like to utilize this app to learn new skills as well as use the other features of the app. 


The third user is an expected user, but not someone that would use this app. The reason for using a guy as part of my user persona is because when I talked to some of my friends, they told me they would use a make up and beauty app as well. 



Week 7

11th October 2018

I have received some responses to my survey. In total, I received 45 respondents for my survey. From the survey, I get to know my users better and to further understand what they would like from my app. 

Week 8

17th October 2018

For this week, I have already created some wireframes for my app. We are supposed to conduct the first usability testing this week on some students in Mr. Shamsul's class. I did not download Adobe XD yet so I made some wireframes using Adobe Illustrator. 



18th October 2018

Today, we conducted usability testing on our juniors. I did a usability testing on a girl, she then commented that my app needed some direction in terms of icons and needed a bit of finalizing before she can truly test my app. Other than that, when she looked at my app, she said that it was alright. 

Week 9

24th October 2018

By this week, I have already created the design for my app. I have also included several sections in my apps. The idea for my app is simplistic, straight to the point, user-friendly and aesthetic. 

The logo design for my app is an illustrated drawing of a female portrait, which shows femininity and beauty. 


The colour scheme for my app is a red violet color as shown below.


The final design is as below. 








As for the video to my completed app design, it is available here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJEr2tPbyk7UiTxhovwja9ZGZfcVRGiC6










Comments